Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Kitchen Remodel


The kitchen remodel....oh what a great adventure that was. The hubby decided to do this project in the dead of winter, right after Christmas. But it's the only time he can take vacation, and we had been planning this project pretty much since the day I moved in. The kitchen was outdated. The house was built in 1941. And man-o-man the layers of history that we uncovered during this project, DISGUSTING and interesting at the same time. 

Time Duration- 2 weeks!



 So here is BIG project #1, the kitchen.

Before......

Kitchen table Nook!


This is looking into our living room from the kitchen sink. 



On the other side of the fridge is the back door, and it  blocked all the sunlight. 







I guess you can say small and outdated....

The original plan was to purchase new cupboards. But me being the "crafty and frugal" one, I convinced the hubby to try and "redo" them. I figured if it didn't work or we didn't like them, we were only out paint and time.

Phase 1- Demolition!

The boys started while I was at work, so I didn't hafta see the mess? Yeah RIGHT! LOL


There's our Harley photo bombing!


Jaylen...exhausted! Oh and check out the wallpaper that was behind a cabinet. GROOVY huh!



This was under the bottom cabinet. Among layers and layers of linoleum and carpet. The smell was horrific!

Support Beams UP!


Success! The new load bearing beam is in and up!
Oh, this board was in one of the walls. 




Fridge is out and replaced it with a cabinet that was by the stove.
So here is after 2 sub-floors, 2 layers of linoleum, and 2 layers of very very thin carpet.... P.S. I hate staples! And anyone that has done this knows what I mean.

We took off the cabinet doors, and cut inside the groves to replace with a piece of bead board. I love cottage/country kitchens!





 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of white kitchen paint.



I chose the Color Antique Silver from Menards. I was worried it might have been too dark but was very pleased we went with it!




Floor Time! Oh, then we decided to tare out the living room carpet. And went with the hard wood floors throughout! 













And AFTER....



I loved these plates but the 3M sticky things didn't hold up, and they fell and broke.  But I found new ones, and I  have another post about hanging plates! They ain't going nowhere this time!
The light fixture was from Lowes, and the ceiling piece was a garage sale find for $3 (brand new)!

This window was a LUCKY Craigslist find! 

We hung 2 shelves in place of a cabinet that was there. 

And I thought this was the perfect sign for my new kitchen!!!!

So after it was all said and done. We were left with 2 cabinets that we didn't reuse. It was alot of measuring and planning. But I'm and really pleased with the way it turned out! Now the only things left to do is counter tops, dishwasher, and sink! So stay tuned...... 
Phase 1 cost $300.00











20 comments:

  1. You guys did a fantastic job! Visiting from Tuesdays Treasures L-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for visiting!! And thank you the compliment!

      Shelly

      Delete
  2. Outstanding! It's a whole new world in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! We were pleased too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Shelly

      Delete
  3. Oh this is wonderful. What a fabulous transformation. I would love for you to link this to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing. - - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/05/164th-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So glad you shared this one!!!!
    It looks amazing, what a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Its still in progress but it's coming along!

      Delete
  5. Shelly, thanks for stopping by my blog. OMG! Talk about transformations - what an undertaking you had on your hands. It turned out absolutely gorgeous. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Thanks for checking ours out too!! It was quite the project! I probably wouldn't recommend anyone doing it in the dead of winter with 2ft snow outside. Sure did limit work space!

      Delete
  6. I forgot to mention, I love that board you found in the wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light blue one from Junkstock? Check this out!!
      http://minettesmaze.blogspot.com/2013/06/ok-i-hafta-say-i-cant-wait-i-have-been.html

      Delete
  7. How cool is your kitchen! I love the before and after pictures. They're so fun. It really looks awesome. Congrats! I am sure you enjoy it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you mentioned that you used "kitchen paint" for the cupboards... was that an oil based paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Dutch Boy Cabinet and Trim Latex paint. And we purchased that from Menards.

      Delete
  9. This is great!! You did fabulous. And bless your heart, I don't see a dishwasher. We haven't had one 11 of the 12 years we've been married. I was actually looking at your Reno to see if I could steal some inspiration. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great!! You did fabulous. And bless your heart, I don't see a dishwasher!! We haven't had one the 11 of 12 years we've been married. LOL. So I came here looking for insration and I found it!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is beautiful! We are also in the middle of gutting our kitchen and I was wondering if u had your cabinets spray painted or rolled?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful! Did u spray the cabinets or roll them?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You guys did a great job! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete