Monday, January 20, 2014

Rescue a Door and Up-Cycle It!



My friend Mel rescued this door from her dads burn pile. She told her dad "Don't you throw that in there, Shelly can do something with it!" Well, little did he know...


This is of course a Pinterest idea. But the catch is...you hafta find a real wood door. Unless you want to spend some mucho dinero on one and they ain't cheap.

First step was to cut the bottom off of it. Then the piece you cut off, but that in half. And those are the sides to your bench!


Then screw them into place on each side.



For the bench piece, we used the wood from an old wood table that also was a roadside rescue. 



We cut them down to size and screwed into place.






We cut and added boards to the arms to cover where we had cut it. And also on the top to match. Just made it look nicer I thought.



Now it's Primer time!


Well the original plan was to paint it all white and maybe a little distressing... Just wasn't diggin it! So I then tried Gray.. 



Nope...that didn't work for me either. 
So when in doubt go......RED!


Mel wasn't too sure if she wanted hooks on the top or not. So I decided to suprise her with a chalkboard instead!! 


I LOVE the distressed look, especially in this piece because the gray and white came though! Can't see it really well in these photos but it is gorgeous!
So does this make you want to go find a door??!! 

17 comments:

  1. Sooo cool! I love this idea!! Stopping by from Pin It Monday--definitely pinning this one! I would love to make this for my sons room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping and checking it out Emily!

      Delete
  2. saw this posted on google plus! such a cool bench!
    Love the red color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love the red!!! And the up cycle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am smitten. I love it. I am officially on the hunt for an old door. Thanks for sharing. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That looks amazing. Love your creativity. Maybe if I ever find an old wooden door I can put my dad on the project. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe just put it out there in Facebook World! It's amazing what people have just laying around that they are willing to get rid of! Thanks for checking it out!

      Delete
  6. SO COOL!!! I want it!!! Love everything about that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool Shelly! I especially love the color. I'm always amazed at these types of projects that take something and make them useful again. Love it. If you have time, come link up at The Makers going on now at TinySidekick.com. Hope to see you there!
    Corey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Corey! I'm a little late but I joined ya this week!! And thanks for checking my Door project out!!

      Delete
  8. hi shelly,

    I'm here to let you know that you are on my top 3 favorites on The DIY'ers party last week♥ This project is featured on my pinterest, The DIY'ers Party Favorites Board!

    Stop by and share your latest work of love again with us! Thanks for sharing, huggies♥
    rea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Rea!! And thanks for the follow! I plan on emailing you soon!

      Delete